Wednesday 31 December 2008

Of Alcohol, Alcoholics and Alcoholism...

It is about 8.30 pm on 31st December, 2008. The last day of the year and the time of day when many are out there celebrating the fact that they made it through the year and waiting to usher in 2009. Much alcohol will flow tonight for those who indulge, and the rest will I am sure be as drunk with emotions as we bid farewell to 2008. Tomorrow is another day.

I am sad today. I am sad today because a dear friend blogged about himself today in reference to revelry. I am sad for the narrow and judgemental view that belongs only to those who have succumbed to generalizations yet, I understand why. 

Some of the most generous people I know are also known to appreciate their single malts or wine and these are captains of industry and indeed society. From now on do I label them good for nothing alcoholics? No I refuse to. Instead I will honor them for the good they have done and I will toast to them for the greater good that they will continue to do. Here's to 2009! Cheers!!! 

No comments: