Saturday 13 June 2009

He Remembered...

Most of us have heard of the "six degrees of separation" idea and I have personally found it to be generally true (especially now with the Internet). Here is an example: the correspondences which I reproduce here are without permission from the individuals hence the names in abbreviation:

***********************************************************
From: MNT To: MLH
Sent: Thursday, 11 June, 2009 6:00:30

Subject: Current Affairs - Chin Peng
Dear ML,
Please go to:
nocturnal-mind.blogspot.com/2009/6/i-remember_11.html

This is a letter written by my friend Cheah Keat Swee on Chin Peng and his family's experience. He has asked me to comment and I have done so. Once you have read his posting, I'll send you my comment, if you wish.

***********************************************************
From: EM
Date: 2009/6/13
Subject: Fw: Re: Current Affairs - Chin Peng
To: MNT

Hullo!
Can ya hook Lynn with KS? Thanks ed

-----Forwarded Message----- From: LJ
Sent: Jun 12, 2009 12:20 PM
To: EM
Subject: Re: Current Affairs - Chin Peng

Ed,

Thank you so much for this post.

I do not know Cheah Keat Swee, but I knew his father Chea Keat Hin. He was my headmaster in Kroh in 1968! He was the best of the best. And I still remember him well 40+ years later.

I will surely want to correspond with KS.

It is indeed a small world.

On On
Lynn

***********************************************************
From: LJ
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:42 AM
To:
cheah.keat.swee@gmail.com
Subject: It is truly a small world

Dear Cheah Keat Swee,

A friend sent me the address of your blog. I looked at it and quickly realized who you were talking about.

Your father, Chea Keat Hin, was my headmaster in Kroh in 1968! He was the best of the best. And I still remember him well 40+ years later. He taught me many lifelong principles. We had great times together, indeed he did get along well with military folks and Anchor as you wrote.

I was in the Peace Corps and posted to SMK Kroh, 1967-1969. I taught math. A place like Kroh is the best place for a young naive person like I certainly was then, if not now too.

I see you have travelled many places all over the world, but I saw no pictures of USA, maybe I missed them. We live in the Washington, DC area and would be most pleased if you consider staying with us, if you ever travel here.

I hope we can correspond.

It is indeed a small world.

LJ


***********************************************************
From: Cheahs [mailto:keat@cheahs.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:41 AM
To: 'LJl'
Subject: RE: It is truly a small world

Dear L,

What a surprise!!! Indeed it is a small world!

Yes I do remember you and especially your name :o) We have met and I always thought your name was spelt Jewel…now I know. If I am correct, you had blond hair and wore metal rimmed glasses (or my memory could be playing tricks). When I saw the email with “LJ” as sender I told myself, “…this sounds like a name from the past…it couldn’t be the same person! Or could it?” There is so much spam these days!

There was another chap from the Peace Corp those days and I wonder whether you know him; James Huyer.

Thanks for the invite to be a guest at your home. You and your family are of course ever welcome to stay with us should you decide to visit Malaysia again. There are no photos of me in the US simply because I have never been there :o) My departed wife had been there a few times and we were supposed to visit the States and many more places together…

I would love to correspond and also know more about your time here and after. Take care!

KS

No comments: